MBM Veterinary Group News

 

Winter Safety for Pets

Please read our advice sheet, available here.

 

URGENT ALERT FOR RABBIT OWNERS

October 2018 - We are aware of a confirmed, fatal case of RHD2 virus infection in a rabbit in our area. It’s also been reported anecdotally that some wild rabbit populations have suddenly disappeared, raising suspicions of a disease outbreak.

There are two strains of the RHD virus, which is also known as VHD virus. (The abbreviations stand for ‘Rabbit Haemorrhagic Disease’ and ‘Viral Haemorrhagic Disease of rabbits’.) Both strains are spread by direct contact, biting flies or fleas, or through contaminated food or bedding. Infection results in sudden death, or acute illness with internal bleeding. The survival rate is very low and there is no effective treatment.

The best way to protect your rabbit is through vaccination. Most pet rabbits are routinely vaccinated for RHD1 and myxomatosis. However, this does not protect against the new RHD2 strain.

We have now been able to source RHD2 vaccine in single dose vials and we recommend that all pet rabbits are given this.

🐰 THIS ADVICE APPLIES TO ALL RABBITS, including those which have previously been vaccinated against the RHD1 strain.

🐰 Rabbits which have already been vaccinated for RHD2 should have their vaccination certificates checked to see if they need an update. Revaccination at 6 month intervals is recommended in the face of a disease outbreak.

🐰 If your rabbit has never been vaccinated at all, it’s now even more important to get this done.

Please call your nearest branch to order vaccine and arrange an appointment for your rabbit. Our Pet Health Club includes RHD2 vaccination for rabbits and this is a great way to spread the cost of routine care.

 

Coping with Fireworks Season

October 2018 - Firework season is upon us once more and from mid-October until November fireworks will be available to buy in the shops. Now is the time to prepare your pet and you can download our advice sheet here.

If your pet suffers from severe noise and firework phobia we recommend you contact us very soon to talk about how best to manage their problems. We can advise on behaviour techniques and have a range of natural products, pheromones and nutraceuticals available. You can book a free consultation with one of our vet nurses to discuss these. However, some pets may also require medication and this should be discussed with a vet in plenty of time, so that health checks can be made and test doses given to ensure a particular medication is suitable.

If you have a young pet, it is a good idea to get them used to loud noises like fireworks before fears and phobias develop and there are training apps and CDs available. It’s also possible to desensitise phobic pets using similar methods. However, we recommend that this is always done under the guidance of a qualified trainer or behaviourist - if done too quickly you can make your pet’s fear even worse. It’s important to remember that every pet and owner is different and that what may work for one pet may not work for another.

Remember, we are here to help if your pet is having problems caused by fireworks.

 

August Farm News - out now

Read the latest edition of MBM's Farm Newsletter here.  

 

GDPR update

As many of you will be aware, there are new General Data Protection Regulations coming into force across the UK from May 25th 2018. These new rules affect the way we handle personal data and communications with our clients, but they will not have any impact on the veterinary services we provide to your animals.

You can read about how to update your communication preferences by clicking here. 

Links to our updated Cookie and Privacy Policies can be found at the bottom of this page.

 

 

 

 

 

We're really excited about our new Pet Health Club! It's a great way to make sure your pet gets the best routine healthcare AND it saves you money. It covers vaccinations, flea and worm treatments, microchipping and nail clipping, with discounts on neutering, dentistry, pet food, long term medications and much more. Membership is available for dogs, cats and rabbits of any age.

Contact your nearest branch of MBM Vets for information and to join. You can click the image above to go to the Pet Health Club website, or download a leaflet and application form here:

> Download the Pet Health Club leaflet and application form

   

AquAid - Installing Elephant Pumps in Africa

By using AquAid water coolers, we continue to help save the lives of many children in Africa.  With every water cooler and bottle of water we obtain from AquAid a donation is made on our behalf to The Africa Trust. These funds are used to directly build fresh drinking water wells in areas in Africa where it is needed the most, like in schools and villages. 

cid:image005.jpg@01D0663B.043D3C50

 

 

Microchipping of all dogs is compulsory in Scotland

February 2017 - The Microchipping of Dogs (Scotland) Regulations 2016 came into force last year. See our microchipping page for more information. Low cost microchipping is available for only £10 at all branches of MBM. Please call us to book a convenient appointment at a time that suits you on:

Kilmarnock 01563 522701

Mauchline 01290 550452

Beith 01505 502126

 

Avian Influenza - advice for bird-keepers

January 2017 - For the latest updates and guidance on avian influenza please follow this link:

> Scottish Government website: Avian Influenza

The link also has advice for members of the public on how to notify the authorities if you should come across any dead wild birds.

 

Beware of household food waste risks to pets

  

April 2016 - We have been seeing increased numbers of cases of tremorgenic mycotoxicosis (which means ‘tremor-inducing mould poisoning’) in pets. There have been several severe cases needing emergency treatment and it’s something that dog owners in particular should be aware of as we store more of our waste and rubbish for recycling.

Mould growing on decaying food or compost releases poisons which cause signs a few hours after being eaten. In many cases more than one dog in the family is affected, as they all join in when breaking into containers.

Severity can vary. A dog may be mildly affected with slight twitching of muscles or stiffness in the legs, or it may suffer severe, sustained seizures and tremors. This depends on the amount of poison eaten and usually the ‘gannet’ of the family will be worst affected.

In severe cases the poisoning can be fatal if not properly treated. Sustained seizures cause the body temperature to rise uncontrollably and damage to muscles releases more toxic chemicals into the blood stream. Liver and kidney failure can follow.

However, with prompt treatment most dogs do survive and make a complete recovery. They need intensive care – we station a vet nurse ‘kennel-side’ to constantly monitor the dog and administer treatments. Severe seizures are controlled with infusions of anti-convulsant drugs; intravenous fluids flush out toxins and keep internal organs working; and cooling treatments regulate body temperature. The worst of the seizures and tremors usually resolve within 24 – 48 hours and most of our cases have been able to go home after 3 days or so.

Our pictures show Indie the Viszla while she was hospitalised for mycotoxicosis. Her sister Yana also showed mild signs. Bella and Rosie, the spaniels, were both badly affected. Thankfully the dogs have made good recoveries, as have other cases, but their owners are all keen to stress how frightening the experience was for all concerned.

It’s always a great relief to get a patient through such a dramatic and serious illness – but as with so many things prevention is better than cure. Please keep your waste and recycling containers secure where pets can't get them and keep a close eye on dogs when out and about – especially if they have a tendency to follow their noses and go rummaging! 

If you think your pet may have eaten waste or is showing any of the signs described above please call us immediately for advice and treatment. 

 

Puppy Preschool at Kilmarnock

This free, early socialisation class allows young puppies less than 11 weeks old to have some learning fun while you have the opportunity to speak to members of our nursing staff about puppy healthcare and training matters. Commencing at 3.30pm every Friday afternoon at our Kilmarnock surgery, the class lasts for an hour, so feel free to drop in. Pups should have received their first vaccination prior to attending (please bring your pup's vaccination card).

Older pups of 11 - 17 weeks old, which have received a full vaccination course, are invited to our long-established Puppy Playgroup on Thursday evenings. 

More information>

                         

 

Kilmarnock Surgery Open HoursMauchline Surgery Open HoursBeith Surgery Open HoursLatest NewsEmergency Call Out Information